|
|
The Fitz
I am Jeremy Fitzpatrick; this is my Blog. I enjoy cycling and I want to be your president!
Links
Addictive Cycles Nacho Average Blog Heather Anne Fat Cyclist
Previous Posts
January 2005 February 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 December 2006 October 2008 |
|
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
I was reading the April issue of Golf Digest which contained, among other things, a list of the 50 greatest Master's moments. Included in the list of greatest moments for the Master's was the year that Martha Burk, the head of the National Organization of Women, raised a big stink about Augusta National's lack of female membership. Now Golf Digest didn't list that as an all-time great moment because Martha accomplished anything out of the ordinary. In fact, the Richmond County sherriff kept Burk's group so far away from the National, and slapped so many restrictions on their protests that they hardly got any press coverage that week. No, the reason that Martha Burk's 15 minutes was considered a great moment in Master's history was because for the first time ever, the Master's was shown without any commercial interruption. I mean, talk about your all time backfires! Instead of exposing injustice and inequality, Martha Burk single-handedly gave every golf fan a commercial free Master's. Now here's the part where I get political. I was not and am not now a financial contributer to NOW, but if I had been I would have stopped as long as Martha Burk was in charge. You see I don't care who Augusta National admits as a member, as they are an entirely private entity and make no claim of equal opportunity status (which is not the main point). The point is that NOW is a very influential lobby group, and I really think that their head honcho could really have used her resources in a much more positive way. Do you really think that a terrified young mother that just left her abusive husband cares if she might someday have an opportunity to be an Augusta member? No, I think she's probably thinking about where her next meal is coming from, and after that where her family is going to live. Or for that matter do you think that a women with breast cancer cares that Augusta National doesn't have female members? I seriously doubt it. There you go, that's my political opionion for the week. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ On a humorous note: I played golf today at Bear's Best in Lawrenceville, where I had the opportunity to utilize the services of a caddie. One thing you should know about me is that I am an absolutely frighteningly horrible putter. On about the 15th hole, my caddie described my lack of feel around the greens like this: "You know, when it comes to putting, you have the feel of a rapist." Yeah, no tip for you buddy!
|