|
|
The Fitz
I am Jeremy Fitzpatrick; this is my Blog. I enjoy cycling and I want to be your president!
Links
Addictive Cycles Nacho Average Blog Heather Anne Fat Cyclist
Previous Posts
January 2005 February 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 December 2006 October 2008 |
|
Sunday, October 30, 2005
![]() It is safe to say that the last two cross races have really kicked my butt. I finished 19th out of 21 in Macon a week ago, and 11th out of 11 yesterday in Indian Springs. Yesterday's race at Indian Springs was particularly brutal, thanks in large part to a massive runup on the side of a dam. You know that scene in Gone with the Wind where all of the Confederate wounded are laid out in the streets of Atlanta? Well that's what the start/finish area looked like yesterday following the men's C division race; exhausted bodies strewn all over the place. I've competed in just about every sport available to me since I was very young: football, basketball, softball, wrestling, tennis, track, etc., and I've been a part of some really bad teams. Up until now, however, I have never been the absolute worst at anything, regardless of the sport. Even when I first started playing softball at Lanier Point when our team went 3-9, there was still a team that finished 1-11 ( and their one win came via a forfeit). But after three cross races it is safe to say that I am consistently the worst male competitor out there. You would think that I would be upset or discouraged by that, but I'm at all. In fact, I love it. I love the fact that I have only been riding seriously since March, and now here I am racing for real. I love that total strangers that could ride backwards and still outrun me cheer me on, telling me to keep pushing. I love the fact that when the women pass me (as most of them do), they tell me not to give up. I love that I am actually out there doing it, instead of wishing that I were. I love the fact that I have a lot to learn, and a galaxy's worth of room for improvement. Don't get me wrong, this is not intended to be self-deprecating humor, rather an honest statement about how I feel. I know that I have a long way to go, and I'm genuinely enthusiastic about the challenges that I face to become competitive. Make no mistake, I will become competitive. The next race for me is two weeks from now at Jim R. Miller state park in Marietta. You can check out the schedule at the Georgia Cross website.
|