|
|
The Fitz
I am Jeremy Fitzpatrick; this is my Blog. I enjoy cycling and I want to be your president!
Links
Addictive Cycles Nacho Average Blog Heather Anne Fat Cyclist
Previous Posts
January 2005 February 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 December 2006 October 2008 |
|
Thursday, August 04, 2005
Several weeks ago, a 27 Brazilian electrician, Jean Charles de Menezes, was shot to death by British anti-terrorism police in an underground rail station. The police, mistaking the young man for a suicide bomber, shot him repeatedly in the head as he attempted to flee, hoping to keep the young man from detonating any explosives he may have been hiding. The British police have since endured searing criticism for their actions, some are even calling them terrorists (and believe it or not, it's not the Irish Catholics that are saying it). Here is my problem with this: If an anti-terrorism officer with body armor and an automatic weapon tells me to get on the ground, then I will break speed records to be face down in the mud. First of all, this guy fit all of the profiles for a suicide bomber: He was dark-skinned (as in he may have been of Eastern descent), he was wearing heavy clothing in the middle of summer, and when he was confronted by police, this joker took off running. Now put yourself in the shoes of a police officer trying not only to survive, but also charged with keeping everyone around you alive. Nine times out ten, I would have shot the guy too. One other bit of information, Menezes was in the country illegally, as his Visa had expired two years earlier. I'm quite certain that the police did not know that, nor did his illegal status automatically make him a threat, but he certainly wasn't the picture of sainthood. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this incident was not a terrible tragedy, just that the British police are not the blood-thirsty zealots that some would make them out to be.
|