Thursday, May 12, 2005

After reading Greg's post, I had a few ideas about the problems with our Department of Transportation. You see, I believe that the DoT starts of with great ideas for improvements and upgrades to our infrastructure, the just have a hard time carrying them out on anything resembling a timeframe. I'll put it another way by giving you my take on the expansion of McEver road as it enters downtown Gainesville. The DoT has been in the process of changing McEver road into a four lane divided highway for several years now. I'm assuming that someone within the DoT drew up plans based on this new four lane highway's ability to handle a certain number of cars each day. The problem is that by the time this new highway is actually open, the number of cars traveling on McEver road will be like triple the number of cars that they planned for. Maybe they overestimated the amount of work that 700 men could do each day on a 4 mile stretch of land, even with another 1200 men supervising. Or perhaps instead of actually buying road building equipment, they blew their entire budget on swanky four door pickups for the 700 men to sit in when it gets too hot. Or maybe the fine folks at the DoT figured that we'd all have flying cars by the time the stupid road was finished anyway.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com